Thursday 28 May 2009

A Winning Strategy for Achieving your Film-Making Goals

I'm guessing I'm not the first aspiring indie film-maker to hold down a day job while at the same time trying to get a film made. So how do you look after your P&L while strengthening your Balance Sheet - which is essentially how I view it.

I've never thought about making a film so that I can pay the bills (at least at this stage in my film making career) - frankly in my opinion there are too many variables outside of my control. I see making this film as an opportunity to create and market a product that is of exceptional quality, an interest to a broad audience and also inspires people - if you can do this then you increase the likelihood of yielding a highly favourable return.

I'm also thinking that if I can create a success recipe for film production then that's got to be worth something right?

So developing this film has and will require a huge amount of discipline and effective time management, given that I run another business that demands my time, energy and concentration. I don't think my strategy is rocket science nor do I think its revolutionary, it's just something that works for me.

Here's my strategy in three easy steps;

End, Performance & Process Goals

Step 1 - Create a compelling End Goal, one that when the chips are down will keep you focused, committed and motivated.

Step 2 - Figure out your Performance Goals, the key milestones that are mission critical. For example, a polished script is mission critical - without one I have nothing to produce a schedule, budget, nothing to show investors that I'm serious and that I have a knockout product. Without a script I'm unable to get a Director or any serious minded cast on board.

Step 3 - Plan your Process Goals & Daily Disciplines. What activities can you do that are within your control that will move you closer to achieving your Performance Goals and in turn your End Goal. So if one of my Performance Goals is to get a polished script then I need to start reading about how to get that done, I need to pick up the phone and start calling writers agents, I need to start researching all the resources available on line to help me with my endeavours (Script Factory etc.) Your daily disciplines are the things you have direct influence over; make a phone call to an agent; write a blog; read a book; go on a course. These are the only things that you can control, have influence over and crucially the only things that will help you manifest your goals into reality.

By applying this strategy to the different goals I have in my life it becomes easier for me to organise and prioritise my time and my activities and do the things that create and sustain the momentum to move me forward.

Lesson No. 4# The things in life that are easy to do (like your daily disciplines) are also the things that are easy not to do. So focus on the actions that drive you to your goal.

Once you know where you're heading and the road you have to travel it just makes the whole journey quicker and smoother.