Thursday 18 June 2009

Networking - Getting Your Foot In The Door

For some people networking is something that they'd rather avoid for others they can't get enough of it. For me I enjoy it and it is a fundamental business activity. It can however be easy to waste your own and other people's time without a clear strategy. It is only through my networking that I have ended up with the capacity to put together some key creative talent and some principal investors to get this film off the ground.

So let's examine my strategy;

Mindset is key when it comes to networking - I am focused, transparent and always willing to ask for what I want and without exception always thinking about how I can be useful to those that I meet. Those I'd say are key attributes of any effective networker.

As I think about this I need to differentiate between the kind of networking one might do at a conference or event say, and the activity of meeting a contact either through a referral or 'cold call'. Let's start with the former. Picture the scene, you are walking into a big hotel lobby or conference location as you attend the latest Film Financing Conference and you hear the distant rumble of conversation as the doors swing open to reveal 250 people busy chatting away to each other - do you go left, right, straight on, over to the bar or coffee station or rotate 180 degrees and leave without speaking to anyone? So what should you do?
  • Clear Puropse - Whenever I attend any event I always have a clear purpose in mind and if possible a clear idea of who I want to meet at said event. I say if possible because it's not always possible to get hold of a delegate list in advance.
  • Start With the End in Mind - I'll set myself three very specifc goals and focus my energy and attention on achieveing those at the same time being open and flexible to other opportunites and conversations that might come my way.
  • Be Curious - When meeting and talking to others I advocate the Colombo (Peter Falk) school of curiosity and inquire into other's interests and ambitions before talking about myself. I find this approach allows me to gather so much more information about others.
  • Contact Details at the Ready - I always go armed with business cards but am selective when handing them out.
  • Follow Up - I always follow up no matter who I speak to and try and contribute some value in my follow up emails or calls.

My strategy is no different to a speculative meeting. I prepare thoroughly largely because I want to maximises the usefulness of the meeting for me and the other person. Because let's face it, one could easy waste a huge amount of time meeting people and not move closer to one's goals, dreams and aspirations.

Finally always remember to stay in touch with all your contacts; some you'll find touching base once a month will be enough, others once a quarter and others maybe twice a year.